Sunday, August 17, 2008

Veronica Mars


After years and years, I have finally finished watching Rob Thomas' VERONICA MARS. My opinion is that it's a damn good show. I'm not entirely thrilled about the last episode. I even might say that it jumped the shark in its final moments. But it didn't nosedive like most shows do at one point or another. And when's the last time you saw a series finale which actually worked? The last one I can think of was Ira Steven Behr's STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE, which also happens to be the best show I've ever seen.

However, I was very intrigued by the proposal which Thomas did in an attempt to get renewed for a fourth season. In this 12-minute mini-episode, the series jumps ahead approximately 5 years. Veronica is now in her first year at the FBI. I'm not sure that this revision would have been as good as what had come before, but I think a dramatic reboot can often times help a show fend off monotony, and I would've been way into whatever they were planning to do that season.

As the show stands, it works incredibly well, thanks in no small part to the fact that Kristen Bell is probably the most adorable person on the planet.

See what I mean? The contrast of having this hard-boiled private detective who's also cute as a button works really really well. The show deals with some really heavy issues, but it never stops being fun. It's not light entertainment, but feels like light entertainment. It's a tremendously watchable show, and Bell has a lot to do with that. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it.

No comments: