Thursday, August 21, 2008

QT & Moore At the Movies!




After a gazillion years on the air in some form or another, EBERT & ROPER, or whatever it's called, is being replaced by some other film criticism show which is supposed to be much glossier and dumbed down. I never thought that the show was tremendously high-brow to begin with, and the only times I really bothered to watch it were when the guest host, of which there were many over the past decade, was someone whose opinion I thought would be interesting.

In particular, I was very impressed with Martin Scorsese and Kevin Smith. I also enjoyed watching the Harry Knowles episodes, mainly for the novelty of Ebert being "the skinny one." Richard Roeper always rubbed me the wrong way. I don't care if he's a Sox fan. His reviews were stupid.

Ebert and Roeper are being replaced by two fine gents whom I've never heard of before, and whose names I am too lazy to look up at present. I do know that one of them is a 26 year-old critic for E! who has a reputation for being a "quote whore," and whose dad is a critic of note. The other one is the grandson of the dude who co-wrote CITIZEN KANE. I don't give a shit about either of these guys, and I'm guessing the rest of the general public doesn't either.

But that got me thinking. Who would I want to see on this show? Who could they get that would compel me to tune in on a weekly basis? There's actually a lot of people. But my Dream Team?

Quentin Tarantino and Alan Moore. Tell me you wouldn't watch that show. Two incredibly smart guys who are also insanely good writers. Both have crazy-ass opinions on films, but they're crazy-ass in different ways.

Tarantino is a very visceral critic. He latches on to things which make him happy. And those things are generally a little bit outside the norm of what is generally considered to be good.

Moore, is much more analytical and logical, offering more thoughtful criticism. When he takes note of something being good, I listen, because whether or not I agree with him, I generally get the impression that he's right.

As far as intangibles are concerned, these two guys have such drastically different personalities that I imagine they would have great chemistry.

I want to see this show! When the current incarnation tanks, Disney should totally consider doing this. It would be the best thing on TV. Even better than BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!

1 comment:

Max Hegel said...

QUENTIN TARANTINO IS FULL RETARD. IF HE GAVE PIZZA A 4-STAR REVIEW, I WOULD STRAIGHT-UP WONDER IF MAYBE I WAS WRONG ABOUT PIZZA.