Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Star Trek Marathons

One of the few things which gave me incredible amounts of joy during my junior high years was WPWR's annual Star Trek marathons. I still remember my first one vividly. It was a NEXT GENERATION marathon, unusually spread out over 2 days, airing April 28th and 29th, 1993. I can even tell you the ten episodes, as selected by viewers, in order:

10. Deja Q
9. Q Who?
8. I, Borg
7. QPid
6. Cause and Effect
5. The Game
4. The Inner Light
3. Yesterday's Enterprise
2. The Best of Both Worlds, Part I
1. The Best of Both Worlds, Part II

As someone who'd been watching Star Trek for only 5 months, I was really excited to see the best that Trek had to offer. Unfortunately, my plans to watch it live were thwarted by the Ethnic Diversity Parade, which my junior high marching band was participating in that afternoon. Ms. Holliman told us that our only excused absences would be for funerals. Lame. But I taped them all, and watched them a million times.

Star Trek marathons were always so exciting, and I always looked forward to them so much that now I feel guilty about not giving a shit about the two (!) which are airing this weekend.

Starting at 7:00am on Friday, The Sci-Fi Channel is airing 22 episodes of ENTERPRISE. Then at 7:00am on Monday, they're airing 15 episodes of THE NEXT GENERATION.

If this were happening when I was 13, I'd be counting the days. But now, I don't care. I own every single episode of Star Trek. I can watch them whenever I want. Why would I watch them on TV? Why would anyone watch them on TV?

There's some guy posting on trekmovie.com who was complaining about DEEP SPACE NINE's new 1:00am timeslot on Spike:

That’s why I still haven’t watched that series, despite how much everyone seems to love and recommend it. The episodes are in such a dead-end slot, and I have no idea when they’ll be at the beginning of the series so even recording them wouldn’t be much use… and forget about DVDs. I don’t have that kind of money. :(

You don't know how badly I hope that that's some pre-adolescent kid who's just now discovering Star Trek for the first time. Just think about how much fun he'll be having this weekend...

No comments: