Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Second Coming

I've been reading I'M A LEBOWSKI, YOU'RE A LEBOWSKI, a book written by the founders of Lebowski Fest. In it is an interview with John Turturro where he discusses his plans for THE SECOND COMING, a movie which I heard about a while back, and which we need to do everything in our power to get made. Here is an excerpt from the interview:

John Turturro: Joel and Ethan, I've been talking to them about doing not exactly a sequel, but a spinoff of the Jesus. I wanna call it THE SECOND COMING. I've got a whole scenario now and I'm going to meet with them and talk to them about it. I don't know if they would want to direct it, but maybe they would just write it. Low budget. The Jesus gets out of prison and you see him, and then he has to go to his brother to get a job. And he tries different jobs, and he winds up driving a school bus.

And then there is a sports team, and they usually have their own driver, but he replaces him, and he has to drive a school team of girl volleyball players. So it's kind of a road movie.

So you would see his trailer-trash father when he got out of prison. The guy lives in a trailer, and that would be like F. Murray Abraham. He'd be Joseph.

Then, like THE BAD NEWS BEARS, he gets lured back into bowling. Or he tries to bowl and not be aggressive, but he's no good that way. He gets back in shape like Rocky. And then enters this big tournament and maybe wins money so that they can have a new volleyball field. Some shit like that.

And, you know, he prays for strength. And of course God is the Dude.

Bums: Of course.

JT: And the dude comes and gives him, "Be cool. Hang out." So it's kind of like a spinoff. THE SECOND COMING. He shows them all because he's an expert dancer of Latin dances. And maybe he hooks up with his old partner.

Bums: Liam!

JT: Liam. And the Jesus.

Bums: One more question, on the topic of a sequel. John Goodman mentioned THE SECOND COMING, and said that the Coen brothers say they're only going to do one sequel, and it's called OLD FINK. They're going to wait until you get older and do a sequel to BARTON FINK.

JT: Yeah, that they're serious about. This, I just want them to write. They don't have to direct this. I'll direct it myself. I'll make a low-budget film of the Jesus. I feel like I have to do it for THE BIG LEBOWSKI fans. Almost like I have no choice now. And I've got to do it within the next couple of years.

I tell them, "We can make like the lowest-budget film of all-time. It's about the Jesus." It's not a sequel. OLD FINK is a sequel. This is more of a spinoff. Starring, you know, the Jesus.


Please, God, please! Let this happen! I need to see this movie now!

No comments: